About Davangere

image

Davangere, the head quarter of the District situated in the central part of Karnataka has acquired the status of a Corporate City. It is situated on the National Highway No.4, connecting MadrasBangalore-Puna and Bombay. It is about 273 Km. from the State capital Bengaluru towards Bombay. The city has a population of about 6 lakhs and is a major business and educational centre. Besides, it is also a growing industrial centre with well established industries. Apart from these, there are three big sugar factories and a host of small scale industries. In addition, major industries of international repute and many ancillary units are situated at Harihar, an industrial town just 14 km. away from Davangere and on the banks of river Tungabhadra.

University B.D.T. College of Engineering, Davangere, comes under the administration of Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum and it is the only constituent college of it. The college campus is spread over an area of 25 Acres of land.
Further, Davangere University is situated at Tolahunase, which is 15 km away from the city and it has University College of Fine Arts as constituent college.

Other major institutions at Davanagere are (1) Industrial Training Institute of the Government of Karnataka, (2) Three private  Engineering Colleges, (3) Two Medical Colleges, (4) Two Dental Colleges, (5) Science Colleges, (6) Two Arts & Commerce Colleges, (7) Two Colleges of Education, (8) A  Women’s College of Arts, (9) Two Polytechnics, (10) Two Private I.T.T’s. (11) Pharmacy College (12)Seven Nurses Training Colleges and (13) One Ayurvedic Medical College.

HISTORICAL SKETCH

The Northern District of erstwhile Mysore State had no facilities for technological training for a long time. As a result of sustained efforts and donations made by some philanthropists of Davanagere, Government of Mysore approved the establishment of an Engineering College at Davanagere in the year 1951 and was named after the donors, Bramhappa Davendrappa Thavanappanavar as B.D.T.

College of Engineering and subsequently the fourth Engineering College started in the old Mysore State. The college was started initially with the Civil Engineering Department with an intake of 40 students.

Subsequently, the intake was increased to 120 in the year 1957 with the introduction of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering courses with an intake of 40 students for each branch. The introduction of the Electronics & Communication Engineering course in the year 1967, Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics & Instrumentation Enigneering courses in 1984 and Industrial & Production Engineering in 1996 has led to the total intake of 390.

The Post Graduate Programme leading to the award of Master’s Degree in Production Engineering Systems Technology was sanctioned in the year 1988 and started in the year 1989-90. Seven other Post-Graduate courses were started in other disciplines in the year 2003-04.

Ph.D./Research Programmes are available in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial & ProductionEngineering, Computer Science & Engineering and Electrical & Electronics Engineering disciplines of the college.

AFFILIATION

In the beginning, the name of the college was Govt. B.D.T. College of Engineering and it was affiliated to Mysore University. Subsequently it becomes the constituent college of Kuvempu University, B.R. Project, Shimoga in the year 1992 and all the academic work such as course training, examination etc., were regulated by the Kuvempu University. In August 2009 the college was transferred to Davangere University upon its formation. With an intension of comprehensive development of the college, the Govt. of Karnataka transferred the college to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum in February 24, 2011 as a constituent college. Presently, course curriculum and examination are regulated by Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum.